Autumn is for Apples - Arroz Con Pollo with Apples
The Granny Smith Apple Takes Center Stage We enjoyed this treat last week at a Cooking Class with the one-and-only Chef Elizabeth Weaver. She led us in “Apples to Apples” with these fall fruits as the superstars within all...
We enjoyed this treat last week at a Cooking Class with the one-and-only Chef Elizabeth Weaver. She led us in “Apples to Apples” with these fall fruits as the superstars within all of our recipes. This dish is a traditional Mexican and/or Spanish entree that is pure comfort food. The added sweet and tart flavors with the apples made this even more memorable. It is my pleasure to share this recipe with you.
One of the secrets of this dish is starting with Chicken Thighs. These are great choices for a one-skillet dish. You can opt for the boneless and skinless variety if you chose. Take the time at the beginning to brown these well and begin layering the flavors. The second secret is the cast iron skillet.
Arroz Con Pollo with Apples
– recipe shared by Elizabeth Weaver – Elizabeth’s Edibles
- 2 large tart unpeeled apples, such as Granny Smith
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, or thighs bone-in could work!
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 4-6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 14 ½-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup long-grain converted rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Season the chicken with the salt and black pepper. Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. A cast iron skillet would be an excellent choice for this preparation. Add the chicken and cook at least 4- 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Remove the chicken and set aside, leaving the oil in the pan. Brown the chicken in two batches.
- Quarter, core, and slice the apples into ¼-inch-thick pieces; set aside.
- Add the red pepper and yellow pepper, onion, and garlic. Stir well and cook over medium heat until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and apples to the pan. Cook 8 to 10 minutes more. Add the paprika and red pepper. Stir well and add the rice. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, arrange the chicken on top of the rice mixture, and cover. Cook about 20 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed. You might need to add some additional stock.
- Sprinkle with the parsley. Serve hot.